Friday, February 22, 2008

Be Creative

Last week I decided I needed a new entertainment center to house my vcr and dvd's, but I didn't see what I wanted in the stores so I decided to check out the Goodwill and see if there was something there I could fix up "new". My daughter inspired me recently with a dresser that she painted and got new hardware for and wala! A like-new dresser. Could this be my answer?

So I went to our local used everything store and found a mid-1960's ish dresser, just the size I needed, made out of wood and not particle board. It was very sturdy. So we loaded it up on the truck and made a trip to the the local home supply store to pick up paint, new drawer pulls, molding and shelving board. Now I am on a role! This was Monday afternoon and by Monday evening I had taken out the 2 upper drawers and replaced them with shelving. I put a peice of molding between the shelving and the lower drawers to hide the gap. Took off the back and painted it all a dark kona brown. By early evening I had the whole projected completed with the help of my husband. Oh by the way, the dresser cost $10 and the supplies about $40. So I now have a like "new" entertainment center for a fraction of the price a new one would have cost. Hmmmmm..... I wonder what my next project will be?

1 comment:

Brenda Boylan said...

Hi Kathy!
Post a photo...you painted a great description and entertainment system but no picture? hmmm
smiles to ya!
Brenda